Office of Criminal Injuries Compensation

Lodging an Application

You may lodge your application online via the eCourts Portal.

You will be able to commence your application and stop and save if you are not able to complete it. The benefit of lodging online means you will receive your matter number immediately to confirm lodgement with Criminal Injuries Compensation. You will also receive all incoming documents to your eCourts Portal account and be able to lodge documents directly to your matter.

There is an online applications user guide which will assist you to navigate the online form should your require assistance. Alternatively you may contact the Office of Criminal Injuries Compensation on (08) 9425 3250.

There is no fee for lodging an application.

You will need to provide details of the date, place and circumstances of the offence and injury, medical reports and other documents to support your application.

If you do engage a solicitor, the assessor cannot award costs to cover legal fees but may award the reasonable cost of any supporting medical reports.

Ensure all documentation required is completed and attached and that you keep copies of the documents submitted with the application. If you require information from WA Police, refer to the WA Police website.

eLodgment videos

Select the video that you wish to watch from the drop down.

If you would prefer to complete the application in another form, you may use the application form which you may complete electronically and email to or print, complete and post to:

Criminal Injuries Compensation
GPO Box F317

Lodgment is preferred online via the eCourts Portal website or by email as we operate in an electronic environment.

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Act 2003 allows for applications to be lodged within 3 years from the date of incident. Where there are multiple incidents involving the same offender, the time limit is from the last date of incident.

Any application lodged after the 3 year time limit must be accompanied with a written request for an extension of time giving your reasons why the application is late.

An assessor can only consider the request after a fully completed application is lodged and all necessary documentation is obtained such as police and court records.

Please supply a statement of events, victim impact statement and medical information such as records or reports.

If you are making a claim for losses, you must supply relevant invoices, receipts and rebate documentation from Medicare and/or your private health insurer. Please see information on the compensation page for further information.

If the application is submitted without sufficient supporting evidence, you will be notified in writing of the additional evidence required to process your application. An application will not proceed without all supporting information being provided and the onus is on the applicant to obtain and provide the information.

If the police are still investigating the matter or the court proceedings are still ongoing then your application cannot proceed. Please do not submit your application in these circumstances unless you are making a claim for an interim payment or to preserve time in which case an Assessor will be able to consider your request for an interim payment and put the application on hold until the police investigation or court proceedings are finalised.

The details of your application will be kept confidential.

However, in most cases, the offender will be notified of your claim and may be provided with edited copies of documents in support of it. In addition, copies of decisions made by the assessor are available to the media and the public.

In special cases, the assessor can order that names of people awarded compensation are not made public. This will often be the case for awards involving sexual offences or young offenders.

Last updated: 22-May-2024

[ back to top ]